Category Archives: El Chico Bakery, St., Louis, MO

Week 8, Ellisville Farmers Market, July 21, 2011

Things are really heating up at the market, both figuratively and literally!  While we all would appreciate some cooler weather, the harvest has been bountiful.  Tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, and squash have been plentiful for a couple of weeks.  Peaches and potatoes are also abundant.

Images copyrighted by Dancing Woman Designs

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Bourbeuse Creek Mushrooms, live shitakes

If you haven’t seen Lori Collier’s official Ellisville Farmers Market blog, her post this week is a must see.  She has amazing information about Bourbouese Creek Mushrooms and how the shitakes are grown.

Oscar Rivera, El Chico Bakery

My friend Peg and her husband really enjoy the baked empanadas from El Chico Bakery.  She’ s come up with a great idea – she’s going to buy some in quantity, wrap them individually  and freeze them.  Then when winter rolls around they can enjoy the delicious  sweet without driving into the city to the bakery.

Cherry empanada

Her favorite is the raspberry filled; Oscar has 9 additional flavors – apple, apricot, blueberry, cherry, guava,  cream cheese, peach, strawberry and vanilla.  Peg and I share fond memories of a southern tradition – fried fruit pies which are quite similar to El Chico’s empanadas.  The biggest difference is that El Chico Bakery empanadas are baked which is definitely a healthier method than the fried  pies of my childhood.  I still remember how much I enjoyed the sweet and fruity flavors of fried pies when my mother made them although it’s probably been 50 years since I had one.  It’s amazing how those childhood memories form a person.   Peg and I were visiting about the similarities between the fried pies of our childhood and Oscar’s empanadas with some  friends who grew up in Missouri and Wisconsin.  They hadn’t heard of fried pies and couldn’t believe that pumpkin pie wasn’t a staple at Southern holiday meals.  She and I both agreed, in the South, it’s definitely the original Karo syrup pecan pie recipe and maybe sweet potato pie.  I was probably in my thirties before I ever tasted pumpkin pie.

Brandi Cartwright, Ilya Eydelman - Raintree Learning Community

Raintree Learning Community, a sponsor of the Ellisville Farmers Market, had a tent for the first time this season.  Brandi Cartwright  and Ilya Eydelman have built an amazing preschool, teaching children respect for one another, love of learning and involving them in healthy choices from an early age.  I have visited many times and participated in events there with a friend’s son.  Everyone there has so much fun and the love is palpable.  In March 2010, parents and students built a Peace Garden during their annual garden spring cleaning.  Learning to resolve conflict through peaceful means is just one of the life skills taught at Raintree.  The children have a garden each year, planting fruits and vegetables.  The students prepare the garden, plant seeds, weed, water, and harvest their bounty.  The fruit and vegetables are delivered to Chef Scott, who prepares organic snacks and lunch for the students every day.  They raise 10 – 15% of the foods they eat, support local farmers and buy organically.  They are well aware of the influence of diet on student performance and overall health.

Brandi’s first teaching job was in Houston with Teach for America.  Acting as an agent of change in the struggling education system continues to be one of Brandi’s goals as Dean of Raintree.  Ilya makes sure that the business side of the school functions properly as President of Raintree  and is also eager to make a difference with the younger contingent of the community.   I think they’re well on their way to achieving their goal of making a difference in the world.  I know they’ve made a difference in my life and the life of my friend’s son.  Their dedication as leaders in the educational community  is refreshing and uplifting.

Although it was hot, George Sackett was regularly making the rounds, refilling cups with iced water.  There was also an overhead mister and the usual seating under a canopy for those wanting to sit down and relax, listen to the music, and enjoy some down time.  I  spent two hours at the market, visiting with friends. If you haven’t been to the market yet this season, come on down tomorrow and see what you’ve been missing!  Remember, Thursdays, Bluebird Park, 4 – 7 pm.

Ellisville Farmers Market, Week 7, July 14, 2011

Lots of new vendors this week!  The market was buzzing with activity and the foot tappin’ beats from the  Maple Jam band.  Tales of excitement from last week’s windy deluge that sagged tents with pooling water while gusts simultaneously lifted the tents from the ground were resounding among vendors.  Some arrived  home from the market last week to discover trees down, plants broken, lambs dead from having been frightened and subsequently tangling themselves in fences.  You just know it is a big time juggling act to be a farmer – there are so many duties on the home front.  To attend a market, typically 50 – 100 miles away, must add another layer of complexity.  They have to harvest, load, unload, load again and unload again at the end of the market.   Somehow all the usual chores have to get done too.  It must help if vendors  can “fill two needs with one deed” by accomplishing delivery of CSA shares  at the farmers market while also offering produce, eggs and meat to market attendees.

New Vendors at Ellisville Farmers Market

Art House Coffee - fresh roasted bean or iced coffee

Art House Coffee, owned by a friend of Rene Sackett, had beans that were roasted Thursday morning, waiting to be ground for your next cup of coffee.   These were organic Colombian Fair Trade mesa de Los Santos (Loads of caramel and chocolate flavor, well balanced).  There was also iced coffee for the person wanting instant gratification.  Art House Coffee supports Turner Center for the Arts with proceeds from their sales.  In the words of the owner,

I love coffee and have a sincere interest in learning about its potential to make a positive difference in the world by treating the earth and coffee grower to drinker with respect, fairness, and kindness.

Commitments and goals: Sell coffee that is traceable from grower to cup, ethically traded, good tasting and fresh roasted using beans from sustainable, earth friendly farming practices that are bird, wildlife, and people friendly. We will use minimal packaging, recycled materials as much as possible and compost our chaff.

Singing Prairie Family Farm from La Plata, Missouri was represented by Andrew, an apprentice from Truman State University.  He is studying agriculture at Truman and is gaining practical experience working with Singing Prairie.  They offer pork from forest and pasture raised, apple fed pigs.  They have free-range, pasture-raised, antibiotic-free, hormone-free fryer chickens and holiday turkeys.  Eggs from their happy chickens are also available.

Kamp’s Peaches from Calhoun County, Illinois had lots of peaches – Saturn – a small, squat white peach, a regular sized white peach and the well known Calhoun County peach.  A taste test of the Saturn peach offered surprising sweetness from such a small fruit.

Kamp Peaches, Calhoun County, IL

Lakeview Farm was also new at the market. They are from St. Charles.  They were offering tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, eggplant, several kinds of peppers and 2 varieties of squash.

Lakeview Farm - beans and squash

Lakeview Farm, St. Charles, MO

Selecting green beans from Lakeview Farm is a family affair

Laurel’s Florals  are beautiful note cards created from original paintings by Laurel’s mother, Marcia Thorpe.   Laurel, the lovely lady who offers fun and educational activities for children, is selling the note cards individually or in an assortment of four.    There were multiple floral images – I purchased 3 floral note cards and the farmers market note card that was an image of Marcia’s friend.  The images that I made have a blue cast that is not on the actual note cards which are printed on white paper.  You must see them to appreciate their beauty.

Laurel's Florals

Farmers Market note card, artist, Marcia Thorpe

Flower note card, image 2, Marcia Thorpe, artist

Ellisville Farmers Market, images by Dancing Woman Designs

The warmer weather has resulted in greater quantities of produce  at the market.  If you haven’t been to the market and taken advantage of the bountiful harvests from our local farmers, you should make a bee line to Bluebird Park, Thursdays, 4 – 7 pm.

Ellisville Farmers Market, Week 6, July 7, 2011

Thursday, July 7  was an umbrella day at the Ellisville Farmers Market!  Few were daunted by the rain; certainly not Market Master Rene Sackett.  I am dubbing her “The Indefatigable Girl”.  She walked around, offering her usual smile and friendly way.  The market was reasonably busy between 4 – 5:30 pm when I was there.  The rain was intermittent; the tents provided sufficient shelter to keep attendees mostly dry.

As I was leaving, the person in charge of the evening’s concert came by to say she had cancelled the evening’s music due to the likelihood of more rain and the fact that the musicians couldn’t set up in the already wet conditions.

Unfortunately, just as I headed home, the sky opened up.   According to Rene, “The wind and rain came in torrents. We all had to hold tents down and then many of them buckled & collapsed with the weight of the rainwater on top of them. It was quite the storm. Everything & everyone got soaked. When the rain died down, we all pitched in, worked together and took it all down…everyone was soaked and getting cold. When George and I got home we laid everything out, hung things up, took hot showers and ate pot roast for dinner! Ahhh!”  Like, I said, “Indefatigable Girl!”  This weekend, George repaired tents and Ellisville Farmers Market will be back this Thursday.  Rene is expecting about 25 vendors as even more produce becomes available this week.

Contained Beauty

New to the market was Contained Beauty, Container Gardens by Kim Gamel.   She offers both indoor and outdoor arrangements.  Some are decorative while others are also edible.  She has created fanciful fairy gardens that are delightful!

Bourbeuse Creek Mushrooms - new to the market this week!

Also appearing for the first time was Bourbeuse Creek Mushrooms, with beautiful shitakes.   The mushrooms are grown in a mulch so they are very clean.

Larry Schonert, Jr., goodies from his home garden

Another new face was that of Larry Schonert, Jr.  He brought produce from his home garden in Ellisville.  Larry’s primary business is lawn care and in his spare time he grows tasty tomatoes, corn, eggplant and squash.  He, his father and friend (sure looks like his father’s twin), entertained customers with their humor.

Karl Burgart of Healthy Harvest Gardens was excited to be offering the organic Greek olives from his friend’s family farm in Greece.  He has dealt with shipping, customs and packing issues for the past month or so.  Good news:  They were definitely worth the wait!

Joy in finding organic Greek olives and olive oil

In addition to the organic Greek olives, he also had Greek bay leaves and dried oregano.   Karl also had Swiss chard and kale from his certified naturally grown gardens in Wildwood.  He will soon have cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes, beans, potatoes, eggplant, melons and peppers.

Edith Branson of Sweet Anny’s Soaps, Salves and Candles often prepares soaps scented with a particular fragrance at a customer’s request.  This week she expects to have the popular clove soap in stock.  She enjoys trying new combinations and pointed out a mango and coconut combo that she made at someone’s suggestion.  She says if it can be done, she will gladly try it.  Look for her husband, Roger at the market this week while Edith takes a short break to make an annual “sister” visit to Houston.

Edith & Roger, Sweet Anny Soaps

Evelyn Lucas of Hunter’s Ridge Berry Farm was at the market sans grandsons.  You may remember that she was assisted by her two grandsons from Pennsylvania last week.  Her Missouri grandson Jackson was helping his grandparents on their inaugural day at the market several weeks ago.  Although Jackson didn’t make it to Ellisville for Week 6, his green beans did.  Evelyn also had a couple of varieties of squash in addition to her luscious blackberries.

Hunter's Ridge Berry Farm - berries, squash, beans

If you haven’t made it to the Ellisville Farmers Market, don’t miss the upcoming week’s market.  It promises to be filled with summer’s bounty as the number of vendors will increase significantly.    Already the market has had a wide variety of produce with vegetables from asparagus to zucchini and fruits from black berries  to raspberries.  Top that with multiple choices for prepared foods ranging from cupcakes and kettle corn to BBQ and tacos, live music and artisan crafted soaps, jewelry, scarves, decorative eggs, wicker baskets and hair accessories.    Every week offers a surprise or two, so make sure to check it out this week, Thursday, July 14, 4 – 7 pm, Bluebird Park, Ellisville.

Images Provided by Dancing Woman Designs

Ellisville Farmers Market – Week 5, June 30, 2011

Thursday we were slammed with the heat of summer after  the unseasonably cool breezes of the previous week.   Attendance didn’t seem to be affected;  I guess people accepted the inevitability of summer and vowed to enjoy the day in spite of the rising temperatures and humidity.  There was a breeze so one could be comfortable in the shade.  George Sackett stayed busy checking on the vendors and offering to bring cool beverages to any who needed one.  That’s the kind of personal touch you’ll find at the Ellisville Farmers Market.  Market Master Rene Sackett and her team work hard to make sure the farmers/vendors have what they need.   Every one is greeted with smiles and the sound of laughter is common place.

Chef Jack MacMurray, providing cooking demo using ingredients from market

New this week was Chef James MacMurray, III, owner of Jack-Macs.  He was doing a cooking demonstration using ingredients selected from produce available at the market, seasoned with his special line of spices.   I saw the beginning of his preparations but unfortunately had to leave before tastings began.  Check out Lori’s report on the market blog site.  Sounds like his various creations were well received by the crowd.    Apparently the  sliders made with Vesterbrook Farm lamb were so popular that  farm owner Mike Brabo sold out of lamb; he promised there will be more next week.

Week 5, June 30, 2011 

Oakwood Herbs was back with plants for sale – mints, cilantro and nasturtiums with edible flowers.  Terry also carries freshly cut herbs and herbal candles.

Terry Mueller, Oakwood Herbs

Terry Mueller, Oakwood Herbs

Oakwood Herbs, edible nasturtium flowers

Oakwood Herbs, edible nasturtium flowers

I noticed one plant, I believe it was echinacea purpurea (Eastern Purple coneflower).  I mentioned to Terry that deer or rabbits eat almost all of my coneflower buds.  He said it was probably rabbits and that he had good luck scaring them away from his plants by simply brushing dog hair into the garden as he walked his dog.  We have a chocolate lab that is constantly shedding, so maybe I’ll try collecting her hair for the garden.  It can’t hurt – it’s organic – just another ingredient for the soil.  We chatted about how to keep cilantro from bolting.  I had read that it needs shade but as Terry pointed out, it won’t leaf out unless it has sun.  His solution:  pinch the tops as soon as you see signs of budding.  I purchased a small transplant for a pot on our deck.  My earlier planting of cilantro bolted a couple of months ago and I eventually threw it out into the woods.  Then I remembered that the spice coriander  is made from the seed heads.    In fact, the entire plant is called coriander – many call the leaves cilantro and the dried seeds coriander.  So I missed an opportunity to make  dried coriander.  Another time.

I also visited with Cheryl, “The Earring Lady”, as she is fondly called.  Cheryl and her helper Emily are at the Ellisville Farmers Market on Thursdays and at the Clayton market on Saturdays.

Cheryl (busy making an earring) and her helper Emily

She obviously has a passion for making earrings and generously donates the week’s profits to American Cancer Society every Friday.  She was busy trying to complete an order for someone who was coming to pick it up at the market.   I realized that I didn’t catch her looking up for the camera; I’ll have to try again.  She’s happy to make a particular design in a different color if she has the beads available.   She was motivated to teach herself jewelry making.    Her sister in law was undergoing cancer treatment and  lost an earring shortly after buying a pair at a craft fair.  Cheryl thought the earrings were over priced and decided to learn how to make them.  She often gives earrings to women who are undergoing treatment for cancer, in addition to donating her profits to American Cancer Society.  She definitely deserves kudos for giving her time and profits to this cause that has touched the lives of so many of us.

Hunter's Ridge Berry Farm - Grandsons visiting from Pennsylvania

Hunter's Ridge Berry Farm - Grandsons visiting from Pennsylvania

Evelyn Lucas of Hunter’s Ridge Berry Farm brought 30 pints of blackberries to market.  Her grandsons, visiting from Pennsylvania,  proudly told me that they only had nine pints left when I dropped by.  They were enjoying the afternoon, in spite of the heat.  They gladly poised for a picture and offered me a sample of the juicy berries.
Evelyn said they were headed to Six Flags in Eureka after the market so they were definitely going to have a full day!

I’m sure I sound like a broken record (OK, so I recognize that only a few of you understand what that means), but if you haven’t been to the Ellisville Farmers Market, you really need to check it out.  It doesn’t count if you visited the market once in the past year or two; you need to check it out this season.  Before we know it, it will be November and the market will be closed until Spring 2012.  The Ellisville Farmers Market is like any other nascent entity –  its survival depends on the support of community, especially during its formative years.  Thanks to the hard work of Market Master Rene Sackett and her corps of volunteers, The Ellisville Farmers Market is on its way to becoming a permanent feature of West County life.   If you visit, I think you’ll find that it has grown into a rockin’ place to be on Thursday afternoons.

Ellisville Farmers Market – Week 4 – June 23, 2011

The weather was incredible – cool and breezy.  Everyone seemed grateful for that gift.   As usual, Market Master Rene Sackett moved among the crowds with a smile and a neighborly greeting for all.  Her excitement is contagious – it’s easy to see how passionate she is about the market.

The Buckhannon Brothers

The Buckhannon Brothers

I knew immediately that it was going to be another fun afternoon at the market as I walked up and  I heard the laughter from The Buckhannon Brothers, the musical duo for the day.  They were obviously having a good time, telling jokes about one another.  As I wandered, I heard one person remark that the vendor registration process for the market was relatively painless.  Several commented that  everyone was so helpful and friendly.  There is definitely a feeling of camaraderie among the vendors and for that matter, the customers too.

There were several new vendors at the market.  Terry Mueller of Oakwood Herbs had  freshly cut and potted herbs.  He had a great idea – sell packages of mixed herbs – some chives, some basil, some rosemary, that sort of thing.  His farm is located in Foristell, MO.

Christie Parker, headbands, necklaces, "bird's nest" rings

Christie Parker, headbands, necklaces, "bird's nest" rings

Christie's headbands with interchangeable fabric flowers

Christie's headbands with interchangeable fabric flowers

Christie Parker was there with her handcrafted “bird’s nest rings, fabric necklaces and head bands with interchangeable fabric “baubles”.

Cindy O'Neill, "For the Birds" Creations

Cindy O'Neill, "For the Birds" Creations

Cindy O’Neill of Cindy’s “For the Birds” was attending the market for the first time.  She is the creator of beautiful and vivid,  cast concrete pieces inspired by nature.  She also makes amazing, hand painted decorative items from gourds of various sizes.  You would be surprised at how small some are.

Linda Reel, Volunteer for Ellisville Dog Park

Linda Reel, Volunteer for Ellisville Dog Park

Linda Reel was there publicizing the efforts to establish a dog park in Ellisville that would be open to all West County residents and their dogs.  This park would be paid for entirely by donations- no tax dollars.  One location under consideration for the dog park is the old baseball field area of Bluebird Park.  Linda is in conversation with various cities around the US  experienced in creating and maintaining dog parks.  There’s now a book available with ideas on how to organize and design one.   There are multiple web sites such as Dogpark.com that list dog park locations, suggested operating rules, etc.  If you’re interested in helping with this project, contact Linda at 636-386-3983.  Thursday, she was selling tee shirts as a fund raiser.  At this time, they have one fund raiser scheduled coinciding with Pooch Plunge,  the “bring your dog to the pool” day which is also the last day of pool season.  For more info on the park,  there’s an article in the Ballwin-Ellisville Patch.

The Children’s Activity Tent focused on the creation of quilt squares  decorated  by the children.   A growing quilt is the inspiration of the Children’s Activity “Queen” Laurel.    She has plans to assemble the squares into a quilt which will grow each week as new squares are created.   Laurel  has earned the honorary title “Queen” because all the children love her and the fun activities she dreams up each week.

Hunter’s Ridge Berry Farm from Washington, MO was also at the market for the first time.  While I didn’t capture an image of their beautiful berries, their grand son did a fabulous job, creating a blueberry square for the Children’s Activity quilt.

Blueberry Quilt Square, created by grandson of Steve & Evelyn Lucas

Blueberry Quilt Square, created by grandson of Steve & Evelyn Lucas

He was also serving as a great ambassador for his grandparents’ berry farm, offering everyone a  taste.  This is one of the fabulous attributes at the market – it’s frequently a family affair – and often inter-generational.  It makes my heart sing when I see the interaction between children and adults.  Learning about food and sharing meals is an area where we are all on common ground.  After all, most of us love to eat,  no matter what our age!  Seeing the joy on faces of visitors at the market, whether it be a toddler petting a dog, a child intently creating a quilt square , an adult learning about a new vegetable or recipe  or spotting an old friend in the crowd, it seems to me that “being in community” feeds a need that is basic in all of us.

June 23, 2011 Ellisville Farmers Market Gallery

Shortly after arriving at the market, I heard someone call my name.  I turned to see Linda and Mary, two friends from church.  Then I saw Allison,  a friend from WildWest Community Garden and a great Pilates instructor at the Wildwood Y.   She was excited to discover the market and said, “This is great!”.  A few moments later,  a woman and I simultaneously recognized one another,  but struggled to identify each other.      We quickly figured out that we knew each other from Strothkamp Brothers Paint Store.  The other woman was Sally, the “paint lady”.  Of course at that point, I realized I need an entirely new category of “all things local” for great stores like Strothkamps.  In the past few years, Sally had been very helpful on several occasions when I struggled to pick paint colors for interior and exterior surfaces of our home.  She has almost 20 years experience at Strothkamps and she is patient and offers her frank opinion when asked.  Thanks to her help, I have been very pleased with the colors selected.

As I was about to leave, I saw another friend from a book discussion group.  I have been raving about the market to everyone to the point that I’m afraid some people think I have become a zealot.  However, so far everyone who has come to the market after my urging, tells me later how much fun they had, what great purchases  they made, and how much they enjoyed being there.  So I guess I’ll keep up my proselytizing about “all things local” in general and farmers markets in particular.  If you want a concise update about what’s happening at the Ellisville Farmers Market, or want to see some great recipes suggested by the farmers, do visit Lori’s Ellisville Farmers Market blog.  She is the official blogger for the market and does a fabulous job of succinctly describing events  in a timely manner.  She offers recipes combining seasonal foods as they are available.  I look forward to tasting the Raspberry Beet Smoothie  recipe  included in  her June 21 blog post.  I have a permanent link  under my blog roll to her site.  My blog is about my perspective and I definitely meander more than Lori.  Hopefully you will enjoy both blogs.  Hope to see you at the market this Thursday!

Ellisville Farmers Market – Week 3, June 16, 2011

Another fun day at Bluebird Park and the Ellisville Farmers Market!  I was blessed to meet Renee’s Mom and Dad.

Renee's mom

Renee's mom

Renee’s parents manage the beverage tent, accepting donations for the market, offering a cup of Renee’s special blend of iced tea or water.  They are justifiably proud of Renee’s work as Marketmaster.  They also see the market as a place to build community, support local businesses, and discover the joys of fresh produce harvested the same day it arrives at  market.  And of course there are the grass fed meats, free range chickens, eggs and other healthy and flavorful options.

Mike Brabo of Vesterbrook Farm was entertaining customers with a story about a big snake found at Vesterbrook Farm earlier in the day by one of The Giving Tree musicians.  They figured the snake was looking for eggs.  Mike and Carol are raising chickens and lost 27 hens to coyotes!  Mike said an poultry specialist from a university told him that’s why poultry farms confine the chickens.  Thankfully, he and Carol are still working to find a solution that doesn’t involve permanent chicken houses.  Then he awed some children with the “Mommy” Pea zipper.

Mike Brabo demonstrating the "Mommy" pea zipper

Mike Brabo demonstrating the "Mommy" pea zipper

Just find the string, pull, and Voila, “baby” peas appear.   As you can see, Vesterbrook Farm also had cabbage, turnips,  and beets as well as the sugar snap peas.

Nearby was Karl Burgart, of Healthy Harvest Gardens.  He was offering Olea Estates olives for tasting, as well as samples of their fabulous olive oil.

Tasting Olea Estates olives

Tasting Olea Estates olives

Thursday, June 23,  he  expects to have red and white wine vinegars as well as olives to sell by the pound.  I am so excited!  These are so tasty.  He also had beautiful bunches of kale.  I bought a bunch  to prepare as  kale chips.  Karl suggested that I bake them at 300 degrees and for only about 6 – 10 minutes.  The first batch I prepared at 250 degrees but left it in the oven for almost 30 minutes.  I think that was  too long.  One of my friends  who is a great Pilates instructor told me that she makes a breakfast shake she calls The Green Monster with almond milk, kale, chia seeds and a frozen banana – protein powder optional.  Being a child of the 50’s, I prefer sweet tasting foods, but I”m willing to try almost anything once.  I’ll let you know how the latest kale crisps and the Green Monster drink experiments go.   I was surprised to find that “Googling” Green Monster smoothies with kale yielded a long list of websites.   Apparently this is one of the latest food combos  in the healthy food movement although it appears the green of preference is spinach.  I’m adding a link under recipes for those adventurous enough to try this.

Slideshow, Ellisville Farmers Market, June 16, 2011

More and more folks are discovering the joy of spending some time at the Ellisville Farmers Market.  This is a nation wide trend, resulting in organizations like Local Harvest, America’s number one listing of local producers and markets.  In Ellisville,  families with little ones in strollers, young couples  and retired people visit with one another and vendors.  Shoppers arrive alone, seeking a specific food and shoppers bring friends and family, ending an afternoon of swimming at the pool.   Some are walking their dog through the park,   and stop to buy fresh ingredients for dinner.  Some arrive early for the  free music concert that begins at 7 PM and shop the market before settling in for an evening of fun under the stars.     There are so many reasons to participate in the farmers market – wanting to support sustainable farming, sharing in a sense of community, rediscovering  the full flavored tastes of heirloom tomatoes and the nutrient packed fruits and vegetables remembered from childhood, discovering  new foods and recipes.  In addition, there are artisans bringing hand crafted items, local bakeries and restauranteurs offering their specialties.  It’s conversation with these people about their work.  It’s an opportunity to connect with farmers and get a sense of the labor necessary to produce healthy foods and get them to market in a timely way.  It’s a chance to know the families producing your foods, and it usually is a family affair.  I learned that Odelehr Farm produce is ferried across the river.  Several weeks ago, their usual ferry was closed due to flooding so they have had to drive further to catch a ferry that is still open.  Now,  when I hear that Missouri farm land is being flooded, I wonder if that is impacting folks I have met at the market.  Each Thursday, I look forward to seeing what’s new at the market, meeting new people, visiting with friends.  Every week brings a different experience, but always one filled with positive energy, lots of smiles and laughter.  If you haven’t visited yet, come by this Thursday, 4 – 7 pm for a sure cure to the summer doldrums.  Hope to see you there!

Ellisville Farmers Market – Week 2, June 9, 2011

The Ellisville Farmer’s Market, Thursday,  June 9, was another success!   The first berries of the season arrived, courtesy of Odelehr’s Farms and were well received.   Music entertainment was provided by Shamus and The Wise Brothers.

Slide Show, Ellisville Farmers Market, June 9, 2011

Several options were available for those who wanted to shop the market, pick up a bite to eat, and get a choice location for watching the evening’s concert that began as the the market closed.

Bob and Pat enjoyed PM BBQ and a great view of the amphitheater for the Erin Bode concert

After shopping the market, Bob and Pat relaxed in the shade, enjoyed their PM BBQ and waited for the evening’s concert by the Erin Bode Group.   There is also a  children’s playground nearby.   And of course there’s the fabulous pool in the park, just on the other side of the market.

Playground near the market and amphitheater, Bluebird Park

In addition to the great music provided each week at the market, there’s a variety of music concerts scheduled each Thursday to bring the day’s events to a conclusion.

Bluebird Park, "Concert in the Park " Schedule

Hope to see you there next Thursday, June 16!  Also, late breaking news from Marketmaster Rene Sackett:  there will be a cheese making class offered from 6-8 pm, beginning June 24, running for 4 weeks.  For more information, contact Rene at  rene@ellisvillefarmersmarket.org or 314.435.9445.